Tuesday, October 25, 2011

God Provides

We've been in the valley for a little over a month now, and most days we are there, I think to myself that a year will not be long enough.  Oh yes, there are days that creep by (mostly the rainy ones), and I think on those days that a year will be more than plenty.  Yesterday, however, was the first time that I thought to myself that I would get on a plane immediately if someone handed me a ticket.  You see, my parents have been planning a trip to see us for almost as long as we've been here.  We've been counting down the days and making plans for a fun Halloween party while spending some time in Antigua (you who know me well know my love for a good Halloween party! ).  But our plans to see my mom and dad came to a halt on Sunday when we received a call from my dad saying my mom was sick.  Don't worry, it's just a stomach bug, but she was in bed with fever and would not be able to come.  The wind was taken out of my sails, and I, quite frankly, found it difficult to get out of bed yesterday morning.  I probably need to insert here that my sister, Mel, still came yesterday, and we are thrilled beyond measure to have her here!  She's like food for the soul, and as Ben said yesterday, she smells like our house :)!  However, Mel has been here before, but my parents have not.  We were looking forward to taking them to the river to find rocks and to the market to see all the beautiful produce...the list goes on and on.  I really just wanted to see my mom and dad.  Is it weird to still need your parents every now and then even when you are a parent yourself?  Now I need to insert that I know the trip was not possible Mom, and I am not upset at you in the very least!  I wouldn't have made the trip with the stomach bug, and I am, in fact, 30 years younger than you (always will be :)!  I think I speak for all of us, though, when I say that we are ALL dissapointed.

We made our way to the airport to pick up the Hatchells, my sister, and Brian Berry, and my spirits were lifted just to get to touch my sister and see her, as Cata says, personally.  Shortly after piling into the bus, Brian handed me an envelope FULL of birthday cards from some of my favorite people at Otter Creek.  Not only was it full of cards but also full of money for the specific purpose of pampering myself on my birthday.  As I read through the cards (while we were stopped on the road for 2 hours straight), I was overcome with gratitutde for my friends who are truly the hands and feet of God.  You see, I needed to read from Gail Srygley that what we are doing here is important and from Kelly Harlin that we are prayed for daily.  It reminded me that even on the hard days, we are here for a reason and God will not leaving us hanging out on a limb.  Not only that, but he will send us comfort when we need it.  For me, it was through the words of my friends as I sat on the bus yesterday.

Here's the great thing about our God.  He knew way back a few months ago when Kelly asked my husband what I would like for my birthday, that it would come to me a just the right time.  He provides for us in all kinds of ways; from the big ways to the small ways.  It's amazing to look into the pot of food that Cata has beautifully prepared and think that there is no way it will serve all of us as well as the 7 other people who have decided to join us.  But, supernaturally (because God is a supernatural God), we all have plenty to eat.  It's a modern-day loaves and fish story in our kitchen on a weekly basis!  He provides for us, and we hope that he is using us as His vessel to provide for the people in the valley.

It's a beautiful day in Coban today, and I am enjoying breakfast on the patio with my children, my sister and my good friend Cata.  The Lord provides...

No comments:

Post a Comment